Marijuana provides what for some people can be truly life-changing relief from the side effects of cancer treatment. Chemotherapy and radiation can be really effective, but have side effects that can leave you drained of all energy and feeling ill. Through personal anecdote and research, we know that marijuana can help people dealing with cancer-related pain and treatment side effects.
To find out about pricing, eligibility and marijuana products for cancer in Florida, please call Access Marijuana RX to arrange an evaluation with one of our experienced, qualified ordering physicians. Please contact our St. Petersburg staff at 727-209-5470.
Marijuana for Cancer Symptoms and Pain Management
Marijuana helps with these aspects of cancer and treatment of the disease:
- Pain. Cannabis can be a very effective way to manage pain, whether it is pain caused by treatments (such as neuropathic pain from chemo) or by the disease itself. Many people find that they can reduce their reliance on prescription pain medications when they use marijuana. These pain meds can cause fogginess and a generally "drugged" feeling. Marijuana is often used in conjunction with prescription drugs in order to get the best results.
- Nausea. Nausea and vomiting is a very common, very uncomfortable side effect of chemotherapy. Cancer patients often have to endure months of upset stomach and vomiting. Cannabis effectively reduces these episodes, which may help you get up on your feet and more active while you undergo chemo.
- Poor appetite. Cancer treatment, and the nausea it causes, decreases appetite. You may feel less inclined to eat and to eat healthy, which is important to your battle against the disease. Cannabis is an effective appetite stimulant in addition to relieving nausea, which go hand-in-hand to improve your diet.
- Insomnia. Many people receiving treatment for cancer experience restlessness and insomnia. Marijuana has helped many get the sleep they need, so that they feel more rested during day.
- Anxiety and depression. Fighting cancer is a hard, emotionally draining fight. Even with a great support system, you may experience anxiety and depression at times. In addition to mental healthcare you discuss with your doctor, medical cannabis may alleviate depression and anxiety.
If they determine you are a marijuana candidate, our doctors will discuss how the product can help with the specific symptoms or pain you are experiencing.
When someone receives a cancer diagnosis, they often also receive multiple prescriptions for drugs intended to help them with many of the issues listed above. While you should work with your doctor to find the best combination of treatments for you, marijuana may help you reduce your use of addictive pharmaceutical drugs. According to the American Cancer Society, cancer patients in a clinical trial needed less pain medication as a result of using marijuana extracts.
An exciting frontier in research involves the potential ability of marijuana to prevent tumors from spreading and slow the growth of cancer cells. More research is needed before any claims can be made, but it is possible medical cannabis may contribute to fighting the cancer itself, in addition to reducing treatment side effects and pain.
Convenient Home Delivery of Medical Cannabis
In Florida, many dispensaries offer the option of home delivery. That means you can have your cannabis product delivered right to your door, by discreet professionals. For people living with cancer, especially those who may feel ill because of treatment, home delivery can be a beneficial option. You won't have to make the trip to the storefront. We can tell you more about this option, and what marijuana products to order, at the time of your evaluation.
How to Use Marijuana for Cancer
There are several methods of ingesting/inhaling/using medical cannabis in Florida:
Cannabis oil and edibles are two common methods for people undergoing cancer treatment. Vaporizing is another option, which allows the cannabis to enter your bloodstream more rapidly, which is preferred by some people. Our experienced doctors want to make sure you find the method that works for you, providing both the best results and the most comfortable experience. Rely on us to explain all of the options, and to be at your side throughout this experience, as you figure out which method you prefer.
CBD vs. THC for Cancer
Marijuana, also known as the cannabis plant, contains compounds known as cannabinoids. THC and CBD are two of the most well-known and well-researched cannabinoids. Cannabinoids mimic the way your endocannabinoid system works, which includes managing appetite, sleep and pain.
THC, which is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, is the chemical compound most strongly associated with a euphoric "high." THC is thought to be one of the best marijuana compounds for reducing nausea and vomiting, and stimulating appetite. Cannabidiol, or CBD, does not cause a high but is known to reduce anxiety and depression, and to help with insomnia.
In Florida, products at the dispensary come in various strains and varying amounts of THC and CBD, or only one or the other. Our experienced physicians will help you understand the best uses of each and what you can expect, and help you decide which products you want to receive from the dispensary.
Arrange a Cannabis Eligibility Evaluation
To find out if you are entitled to a medical marijuana card in Florida because of your cancer diagnosis, please call Access Marijuana RX at 727-209-5470. Our state-of-the-art, private, comfortable office is located in St. Petersburg. Our patients visit us from across the state, including Tampa and the surrounding areas.